Friday, May 6, 2011

Book Review: A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

So after being told time and again about how great this book is, I bought and read the book. I'll have to admit to being quite disappointed.

I found that the story dragged, certain places it almost put me to sleep. There is a certain sense of humor at some places that I enjoyed.



I guess it must be the romantic in me, but when Lata finally chose a guy she barely met over the man she loved, it completely ruined the experience for me. Admittedly, the story is based on India just after independence and all of that. But given how free-spirited Lata was portrayed in the initial part of the book, later she seemed to be a lot more meek and bending. If the author aimed at showing layers to her character, I believe there was a flaw in its presentation, or I was already so bored out of my skull by the chapters based on politics that Lata's character didn't emerge clearly.

All in all, while I would say, so ahead and read the book, it is not in my list of recommended books to read.

(right now I'm waiting for Karthik Iyengar's first book "Horn OK Please" to be delivered to me, will give review soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment