Saturday, May 7, 2011

Chef's Corner

Orange Peel Powder and Chile PowderImage by MarxFoods.com via FlickrI couldn't sleep. I said my usual good night's and even fell asleep for about 30 mins, when Whiskey my love decided it was time to jump on my tummy. So I'm awake, like wide awake. I get on my puter, as is the case, no sleep means its puter time. I login in to Second Life and cruise the clubs. Finally hung out with some friends blah blah blah....

Later I got some prawns (shrimps) and I already had some dried prawns (shrimps) laying around at home. So I decided to cook it all up. Here's there results....infact let me do one up on that. I'll give you the recipe's ;)



Prawn (Shrimp) Curry with Coconut and Raw Mango:
Ingredients:
Prawns(shrimps) - 200 gm
Raw mango (large) - 1 no
Onions - 2 nos
Tomatoes - 2 nos
Garlic pods - 3 nos (finely sliced)
Ginger - A small piece (finely sliced)
Green chillies - 5 nos
Chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp (optional)
Grated coconut
Shallots - 3 nos
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 3 nos
Curry leaves
Olive oil/Coconut oil (your choice)
Salt - As reqd

Preparation:
Remove the skin of the raw mango and slice it into medium pieces.
Heat raw mango, sliced onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chillies, tumeric powder and chilly powder with enough water in a pan.

Once the mangoes turn slightly soft, add the prawns and salt.
Cook for some time and add the seasoning given below.
Grind together coconut, cumin seeds and shallots into a paste with some water and add it to the curry and allow it to boil.
Season with mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and shallots fried in oil.



Pictures of my handiwork:
The marinated prawns (i know the recipe doesn't call for it...i just like my prawns nice and spicey)

The mango pieces, tomatoes, etc cooking (looks lovely eh)

My curry boiling away happily just after I dropped the prawns in

Finished Product *woohoo*
Dry Prawns Chutney Powder
Ingredients:
Dry prawns - 1 cup
Dried coconut powder - 1 cup(you can use fresh or frozen shredded coconut)
Garlic - 5 to 6cloves
Curry leaves - 2 sprig
Tamarind - Small sized ball
Chilli powder - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Preparation:

Dry roast prawns to a golden brown and keep it aside. 
Again dry roast coconut with garlic and curry leaves till the coconut turns golden brown in color and curry leaves turn crisp. Do it in low flame othewise coconut will not be crisp and brown. If you are using fresh or frozen coconut, make sure that it is well browned and crisp. 
At the last minute of browning , add tamarind, salt and chilli powder to coconut and mix well.
Allow all the things to heat up.
Switch of stove and mix it with roasted prawns. Let it cool and grind to a powder using a mixer or coffee grinder. Chutney powder is ready. Keep it in an air tight container at room temperature. It can stay fresh at least two months. 

Pictures of my handiwork:


The roasted prawns (shrimps) and coconuts etc....sitting to cool

My dry prawns (shrimp) chutney powder (can't wait to have it with  rice and whatever hehe)


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment